Pages

Urban Decay Electric Palette Review


There have been lots of new palette releases for spring and summer that I've successfully resisted, even palettes from Too Faced with their adorable themed packaging. When it comes to Urban Decay's colorful palettes, though, namely the Electric palette that the brand recently revealed, I'm a goner. Although this one has its limitations - apparently, there are many shades that are not suitable for use around the eye area, a warning that I've completely ignored - it's a great pick for anyone who wants to add onto their collection of brights for summer.


My only gripe about this whole palette is the warning about using certain shades on the eyes because of a colorant in them that has not been approved in the US, Brazil, and Canada. Slowburn, Savage, Jilted, and Urban are the four colors with that warning, all of which I've used on my eyes already and haven't experienced any irritation. I am in no way advocating going against the warning - I'm just sharing my own experience with the palette.

With that being said, this is a beautiful palette full of high quality, vibrant shades that will definitely build on any eyeshadow collection, whether you just dabble in brights or can't get enough of them. I wouldn't say that this isn't a stand alone eyeshadow palette, as there aren't a lot of transitional shades to work with. Even though there aren't a lot of those light blending shades, they wouldn't have a place in this palette. It's all about the high impact pressed pigments that bring on the electricity. 

As you can see from the swatches above, these shadows are pigmented, even the matte shades. Because of my own preconceived notions, I thought that this would affect how the colors blended, especially the matte shades. While nothing is going to be as buttery and smooth as a shadow with shimmer in it (Why is that, all of the chemists out there?), the mattes in this palette definitely hold their own and live up to Urban Decay's name. I had no problems with patchiness and they didn't disappear when I blended them out like some matte shades I own. This palette is a definite score for anyone who likes intense, colorful matte shades but doesn't want to battle with a bad formula.

My verdict? This is not one to pick up if you're color shy, but if you like to experiment with eyeshadow, you two are a match made in heaven. There are ways to make the palette wearable (Although, define wearable - some people think wearable is the Lolita palette and others think it's Sugarpill), which I think I did in my eye of the day using the Electric Palette here, but I think that you still have to like colorful shades if you're going to break out this palette more than once or twice. I love it, especially since the quality is so high, but I recognize that it won't be to everyone's tastes. I also don't think that this is a great palette to start with if you're just getting into color - you can create a whole look out of it, but it lacks some versatility because it doesn't have those essential blending shades. I definitely think that this palette is worth getting even if you're on the fence, because as you realize, Urban Decay won't keep a specialty palette like this around forever, and you don't want to regret leaving it behind once it's no longer on the shelves. I give it two big thumbs up and look forward to playing with it more in the future.

That's about it! I hope that you enjoyed this post - let me know down in the comments section if you have the Electric Palette or are interested in checking it out.
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS