Pages

2013 Skincare Favorites


Although this 2013 favorites post isn't going to slip in at the end of 2013, I think that it's still worth sharing with you. Even though I've made some new skincare purchases recently, I thought that I'd give some attention to the products that have been my tried and true for at least the last three months of 2013. There will be plenty of time in this new year of ours to celebrate the newer, shinier things that have been welcomed into my skincare cabinet. Onto the favorites!
 
Origins Make a Difference Plus Rejuvenating Treatment

Where do I start with this one? I don't know if my words can do the consistency of this product any justice. It's the lightest gel that absorbs almost immediately after it comes into contact with skin, but it's still one of the most hydrating products that I've ever used. I don't use it every night, but I've still put a big dent in it because I want to apply so much of it when I do use it. It also smells like citrus, which I think is delicious, but it's not an overpowering scent. I think that this is a great treatment option for a variety of skin types because of it's light texture and powerful hydrating properties.

Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Synchronized Recovery Complex II

I'll admit, I might have cheated a little bit here by throwing in a treatment and a serum, but you can let that slide, right? I love both of these products and I think that they're quite different in nature. Advanced Night Repair is a thin, silky smooth liquid that also blends into the skin quite nicely. This product doesn't feel like it's disappeared completely when I touch my face, though. It stays almost a little bit tacky, like I've just applied a really thick moisturizer. I do feel like this improves my skin's texture over time and I am missing it now that I've put it down for some newer purchases. I can't quite put my finger on why I like it so much, but it's pleasant to use and it's just one of those standby products that I know won't wreak any havoc on my skin. Is it absolutely necessary, considering the price? No, definitely not. It's a nice add on, and if you have the money to shell out on something like this, then invest in it. If not, then the Origins treatment is an excellent substitute and another one of those standby moisturizing products. 

Clarins Lotus Face Treatment Oil
At some point in 2013, the Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate became a little bit too rich for my skin. I still really liked using a few drops of facial oil with my moisturizer for an added dose of hydration, especially when I didn't have a serum on hand. This Clarins product is formulated for oily skin, and I find that it sinks in much better than other oils I've tried. It's not any lighter or thinner, but my face definitely feels less greased up when I'm using a few drops of this one. Even if you don't have oily skin or you found yourself in my predicament, I'd highly recommend trying this out. 

Kate Somerville Goat Milk Cream

This is one of the only products in my whole skincare arsenal that I know will never break me out. It's somewhat basic, as it doesn't have much of a scent and it's just a white cream, but there's something about it that's so comforting. I don't know if it's the very light goat's milk aroma or the way it feels when it glides across my skin, but it's just pampering. I have picked up a certain night cream from Antipodes that I'm loving, but some nights and mornings I do reach for this, and I definitely still love it. This is the one that I recommend if you're having problems with your skin, and I know that eventually, I'll come back to it! 

Kiehl's Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado

I debated a little bit with myself about whether or not I'd pick this one or the Strivectin Eye Concentrate for Wrinkles. If I'm being honest, this is the eye cream that I'll always apply without fail at night, and the Strivectin gets patted on if I have time in the morning. Although I did use the Strivectin eye cream for a few months in the morning and before bed, I felt that it didn't hydrate my dry eye area enough, so that's when I picked up this eye cream from Kiehl's. I gave a pot of this to my sister for Christmas and she loves it just as much as I do. It's creamy as the name implies, but it definitely absorbs completely  by morning and doesn't leave any residue. It's gentle and doesn't sting if I manage to get it in my eyes. It's super hydrating and needs time to completely penetrate, so I definitely think that this one is for nighttime use only. I'd highly recommend this one if you have sensitive and dry eyes or if you experience allergies like I do.

Caudalie Grape Water

I hope that you can see the mist coming out of the can in the picture! I'll admit, it took me a couple of tries to get that shot, but I think it was worth it. 
You know what else is worth it? The $18 dollars you'll have to pay to get this product! See what I did there? 
All joking aside, I really love this stuff. It's hydrating, refreshing, and it cools off my sensitive, red cheeks without drying out my skin with harsh ingredients like alcohol. An honorable mention in this toner category goes to the La Roche-Posay Thermal Spring Water, which is also a great option for a hydrating toner in an aerosol can. I like Caudalie's Grape Water just a little bit more, though, as the mist is a little more even and for some reason, I like the packaging and spraying mechanism better. That's probably just my own silliness, though, and don't let that deter you! 

Dior Instant Cleansing Water with Pure Lily Extract

As far as cleansing or micellar waters go, I don't think that you can beat this option from Dior. Granted, I've never tried Bioderma, but I have tried the cleansing water from Caudalie and I must say that I like this one better. The scent is beautiful and floral, but definitely not overpowering. When spritzed on a cotton pad and held over the eyes for a couple of seconds, it does a pretty good job of removing eye makeup, and it's definitely better at dissolving the waterproof stuff than makeup wipes. My favorite thing to use this for is just as a little refresher after school, when I don't want to do a full on cleanse with a balm, but I definitely don't want to keep the grime of the day on my face. I also like to use this in the morning in place of a cleanser that needs to be removed (I know, that's a little bit of a lazy thing to do), and I've never had any problems putting a moisturizer on over this because it thoroughly cleanses. I think that this is a great cleansing water and would highly recommend you checking it out if all the other cleansing waters available haven't ticked all of the boxes.
Omorovicza Thermal Cleansing Balm 

I've just now realized that I'm kind of working my way back from moisturizing to toning and cleansing, but oh well! I figured that I would take a picture of the cleansing balm pot that I've made the biggest dent in, since I very recently repurchased this and haven't been able to dig my fingers into it yet. I made it through a 0.5 oz sample size jar of this product this year (and I've only had it since September), which is definitely saying something, because you only need the tiniest pea size amount of this to get all of your makeup off. This leaves my skin feeling so soft and nourished, and it doesn't remove any necessary natural oils. It just takes the little bit of excess oil that I get between my forehead and my nose off of my skin so that everything is even and balanced. It reduces some of the redness on my cheeks and my face instantly looks brighter after using it. It smells divine (like orange blossom) and has that spa vibe that makes it feel luxurious. It's an absolute pleasure to use, and I never want to be caught without it!
Ren Invisible Pores Detox Mask

Although I did order some new masks around Black Friday that are absolutely rocking my world, this little baby from Ren has been my most used and loved mask throughout 2013. As my skin becomes clearer, I'm finding that I don't need as harsh of a clay mask to clear up the acne on my face, so I've definitely moved on to some gentler options. This definitely helped me through those times when I did not have very good skin, though, and I can still use this on the areas that get a little oily or wherever I have a patch of pimples. I still recommend this one for someone with oily or combination skin who really wants to strip it and clear it out every once a week or so, but it's really important to follow it with a good dose of moisture. Like I've said in the past, this mask doesn't completely eliminate your pores for any length of time, but it's still a really great clay mask and one of the better ones I've tried. 

Mario Badescu Drying Lotion 

As I mentioned with the Ren Mask, I've realized that absolutely blasting my pimples with drying products may not be the best way to treat them. Although I've realized that now, throughout all of 2013 this spot treatment was my go to for eliminating all of the pimples that popped up. It does really reduce the size of pimples overnight, but it has alcohol in it and really is drying, so you have to be especially careful just to get the spots covered with the product. It also smells strongly of sulfur and alcohol, so if strong scents make you sick or give you headaches, it would serve you well to go the more natural route when treating your acne. If that's the case, I'd recommend something like pure tea tree oil or Lush's Grease Lightning which I used religiously for a good couple of years. This is still worth a try if you have very bad acne and are okay with the drying effects that products like this can have.

Dior Creme de Rose Lip Balm

As you can see, this product has been well loved during 2013. I've put a huge dent in it and decided to purchase another product to take its place when it runs out, but I do love this stuff. It's nice and moisturizing, but I find that it doesn't have the lasting power that I'd like from a lip balm. It's thin in texture so it doesn't really stick if you're eating, drinking, rubbing your lips together, or if you engage in a lengthy discussion. It has the beautiful smell of roses and I'll definitely use it up, but I think that I like the product that I replaced it with better. I'll post an update about that soon. 

That sure was a ton of products! Thank you for reading this extra long post. 
I hope that you had fun ringing in the new year and that 2014 continues to be a year full of great times! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS