Pages

Splurge or Save: Clinique Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Sunscreen VS Drugstore Sunscreens


This past Labor Day weekend, my family and I took a trip to the beach. I'm not one for sunbathing, because the only color I end up getting is a shade between tomato and lobster, but I did enjoy wading in the water. Even if I'm only out in the sun for 15 minutes, I still need to wear at least SPF 30. In traditional Vicky fashion, I forgot the one thing that I need the most. When my sister and I didn't see any sunscreen for sale at our hotel (another where's the butter moment, as it was actually sold in a different store in the hotel), we ran out to the nearest store to us, which was a Belk. We picked up that Clinique sunscreen that's in the above picture.


My first impression of the Clinique sunscreen was just that: it's a sunscreen! I don't know what else I was expecting it to do, but for $23, I wanted it to feel like it was doing something that other sunscreens at lower price points couldn't. It was relatively non-sticky and grease free for being a sunscreen, but that didn't make much of a difference to me as I was only on the beach and I was going to get wet anyway. I also didn't get enough product on my back, neck, and shoulders because of the method in which you apply the product. I've had much better luck reaching those areas in the past with a spray on sunscreen like the Coppertone Sport or Banana Boat Continuous Spray, both of which are on the Walmart website for under ten dollars ($8.97 a pop). These drugstore sunscreens also go up to SPF 110, whereas the Clinique sunscreen only comes in SPF 30 or 50. You would probably have to reapply the Clinique sunscreen more frequently if you were just sunbathing and weren't getting wet.

I can definitely see why the Clinique sunscreen would be useful: the control you have over the application of the product because it's a lotion and its non-greasy formula would make it ideal for use as an everyday sunscreen. Could you find a non-greasy drugstore alternative that would cost much less? Probably. Is this sunscreen ideal for taking on the beach? In my opinion, it isn't. Because being out in the sun all day and in and out of the water requires constant application of sunscreen, I don't think it's cost effective to have slathered the whole $23 worth of product on your body during the course of one vacation. In my opinion, sunscreen for your body just isn't worth the splurge, but I will happily use up this Clinique sunscreen.

Are you willing to splurge for your body's sun protection, or do you think drugstore sunscreens are adequate like I do? What do you think of these new 'Splurge or Save' posts?
Let me know in the comments section!

Thanks for reading! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS