Pages

Caudalie Gentle Cleanser Review + My Skincare Journey Thus Far

Hello there!

I haven't found the motivation from within to begin posting on my blog consistently, so new posts will probably be showing up sporadically for the next couple of weeks until school starts. My life (and hopefully, this blog) will take on a more regular schedule then.

I don't think that I can do any type of skincare post without sharing a story about my extremely sensitive skin and my most recent round of trial and error in hopes of getting it under control.

The cause of my skin's most recent irritation was the high lavender content in a cleanser I had been trying from Michael Todd True Organics. I had been using the Honey and Oat Gentle Cleanser, which is presented as being suitable for sensitive skin. While lavender may have some benefits if you have problems with acne, it is also a known skin irritant. Gossmakeupartist, a popular YouTuber and professional makeup artist, made a video about the harmful effects of lavender when it is used in products meant for use on the face. If you'd like more information about lavender, you can check out his video here (he begins talking about lavender and spearmint, another essential oil that damages the skin, at about 1:19). Anyway, I wasn't too upset that I had to take this particular product out of my routine as it didn't blow me away quite like the product I'm reviewing today: the Gentle Cleanser from Caudalie.

I found what I believe to be my 'holy grail' cleanser because of a recommendation from a Sephora employee. I asked her to give me the name of a cleanser that would soothe my red and irritated sensitive skin that was free of lavender, and she gave me just that. Because they didn't have a full size bottle in stock, she sent me home with a generous sample so I could see how my skin responded to it.

Among my first impressions of this cleanser was the way it felt while I was massaging it into my face. It felt like I was rubbing liquid silk onto my skin. It's not an overly creamy texture, so this kind of silky soft quality was a welcome surprise. Another thing I noticed about this cleanser upon first application was the scent. It didn't smell like one natural ingredient that I could pinpoint. Overall, to me, it just smelled like chemicals and fragrance. The scent doesn't linger, so I didn't have a problem with it. Like most fragrances, though, it grew on me, and now I associate it with serenity and nighttime, so it helps me to get in the mood to drift off to sleep.

After splashing my face with water to remove the cleanser, I noticed that it didn't leave behind any unwanted residue and only left soft, supple skin in its wake. It helped to reduce redness, and over time, aided in clearing up my various spots. I also got a few compliments from the people around me telling me that my skin was glowing. These same people were the ones who told me that my Michael Todd cleanser wasn't doing me any good, so they are some tough critics!

Another pro I would add to this long list is it's reasonable price. I was expecting to have to drop $50+ dollars on a cleanser that was going to work for my extremely sensitive skin. For $28, I got a very large bottle of cleanser and a better user experience than I thought I would get for over $20 more.

The only negative I could think to bring up with this cleanser is that it doesn't completely break down eye makeup. I use a wipe to take off most of the eye makeup I'm wearing and follow up with this product. After the mascara and eyeliner have been loosened, this cleanser has no problem taking them off. As long as you don't expect this product to be a 'one and done' type deal, this shouldn't be an issue for you.

If you're interested in purchasing this cleanser, you can find it on the Sephora website for $28 by clicking here.




PS:
Caudalie changed the packaging and may have reformulated this product after I purchased it. Getting a sample size and trying it before you purchase a full size bottle is ideal!
 
Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS